Infant jaundice, a yellowing of the skin and eyes, is common after birth. Careful monitoring and treatment is important for preventing rare, but serious, complications.
Low blood pressure (hypotension) can be a sign of good health or of a life-threatening condition. Find out more about hypotension's causes and treatment options.
High cholesterol sets the stage for heart disease. Discover ways to reduce cholesterol and keep your heart healthy.
Extreme temperatures — hot or cold — can take a toll on your skin. Here's how to pamper and protect it.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Nov. 10, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Hypothyroidism. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Thyroid disorders: Hypothyroidism and myxedema crisis. In: Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Oct. 5, 2015.
- Hammer GD, et al. Thyroid disease. In: Pathophysiology of Disease: An Introduction to Clinical Medicine. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2014.
- Hypothyroidism. The American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-hypothyroidism. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Hypothyroidism. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/hypothyroidism/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx. Accessed Oct. 6, 2015.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 13, 2015.
Hypothyroidism underactive thyroid