The diagnosis of hypothermia is usually apparent based on a person's physical signs and the conditions in which the person with hypothermia became ill or was found. Blood tests also can help confirm hypothermia and its severity.
A diagnosis may not be readily apparent, however, if the symptoms are mild, as when an older person who is indoors has symptoms of confusion, lack of coordination and speech problems.
May 11, 2017
- Marx JA, et al., eds. Accidental hypothermia. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Hypothermia. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries_poisoning/cold_injury/hypothermia.html. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Brown DJA. Accidental hypothermia. New England Journal of Medicine. 2012;367:1930.
- Mechem CC, et al. Accidental hypothermia in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Auerbach PS. Accidental hypothermia. In: Wilderness Medicine. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 9, 2014.
- Hypothermia. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/staysafe/hypothermia.html. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Hypothermia. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/print/health/publication/hypothermia. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Hypothermia prevention: Survival in cold water. Minnesota Sea Grant. http://www.seagrant.umn.edu/coastal_communities/hypothermia. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Cold water survival tips. U.S. Army Corps of Engineers. http://www.army.mil/article/51309/cold-water-survival-tips-from-usace-and-uscg/. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Hypothermia. In: Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2016. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Frostbite and hypothermia. National Weather Service Weather Forecast Office. http://www.weather.gov/ws/run_widget.php?name=CMSSitePage¶meter_siteId=ctp¶meter_contentName=friday. Accessed March 2, 2017.
- Winter weather frequently asked questions. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/faq.html. Accessed March 3, 2017.