Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If your infant son is diagnosed with hypospadias while still in the hospital after birth, you'll likely be referred to a pediatric urologist.

If your child's hypospadias is less severe, however, it may be overlooked in the hospital. If you think your son has hypospadias, call your family doctor or pediatrician.

If your child will be seeing a pediatric urologist, you may want to check your health plan to see if it covers meeting with this specialist.

It's a good idea to arrive well prepared to your appointment. Here's some information to help you get ready, as well as what to expect from your doctor.

What you can do

  • Ask a family member or friend to come with you. It can be upsetting to find out that there's something wrong with your child, possibly making it difficult to remember all of the information provided during an appointment. Someone who accompanies you may remember something that you missed or forgot.
  • Write down questions to ask your doctor.

For hypospadias, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:

  • Does my child need to have surgery?
  • When is the best time for surgery?
  • What are the risks associated with this surgery?
  • Could my child outgrow this condition?
  • What happens if he doesn't have the surgery?
  • Will this condition affect my son's fertility or sexual function later in life?
  • If I have another child, what are the odds that this might happen again?
  • Are there brochures or other printed material that I can take with me? What websites do you recommend?

What to expect from your doctor

It's also a good idea to be prepared for any questions your son's doctor may ask. For hypospadias, he or she might ask:

  • Does your son's penis curve downward during erection?
  • Have you noticed any abnormal spraying when your son urinates? (This may be difficult to distinguish in an infant.)
July 26, 2016