Researchers at Mayo Clinic actively study new treatments and surgeries for children who have hypoplastic left heart syndrome and other congenital heart diseases. Ongoing research includes studies in imaging and outcomes, human genetics and regenerative medicine strategies. Mayo doctors are also assembling a biorepository of patient and family histories, heart images, tissue and cell samples, and genomic information of people with hypoplastic left heart syndrome and their family members to further study the condition.
Read more about research in the Todd and Karen Wanek Family Program for Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome and on the HLHS Cause to Cure blog.
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on hypoplastic left heart syndrome on PubMed, a service of the National Library of Medicine.
Dec. 01, 2015
- Marshall A. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- Facts about hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/HLHS.html. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- Single ventricle defects. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/CongenitalHeartDefects/AboutCongenitalHeartDefects/Single-Ventricle-Defects_UCM_307037_Article.jsp. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- Bonow RO, et al. Congenital heart disease. In: Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- Waltzman M. Initial evaluation of shock in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- What are congenital heart defects? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/chd. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- Said SM, et al. Longer-term issues for young adults with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: Contraception, pregnancy, transition, transfer, counselling, and re-operation. Cardiology in the Young. 2011;21:93.
- Goldberg CS, et al. Neurodevelopment and quality of life for children with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: Current knowns and unknowns. Cardiology in the Young. 2011;21:88.
- Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/pediatrics/congenital-cardiovascular-anomalies/hypoplastic-left-heart-syndrome. Accessed Sept. 16, 2015.
- Riggin ER. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Aug. 4, 2015.
- Finding support. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/birthdefects/families-support.html. Accessed Sept. 22, 2015.
- Qureshi MY (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 7, 2015.
Hypoplastic left heart syndrome