If you already have a child with hypoplastic left heart syndrome, you're at a higher risk of having another baby with this condition.
Beyond family history, there are no clear risk factors for hypoplastic left heart syndrome.
Aug. 24, 2012
- Marshall A. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 27, 2012.
- Facts about hypoplastic left heart syndrome. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/heartdefects/HLHS.html. Accessed July 24, 2012.
- Brenner JI, et al. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome and other left heart disease: Evolution of understanding from population-based analysis to molecular biology and back again — A brief overview. Cardiology in the Young. 2011;21:23.
- Grossfield P, et al. Hypoplastic left heart syndrome: New genetic insights. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2009;53:1072.
- Murtuza B, et al. Changing attitudes to the management of hypoplastic left heart syndrome: A European perspective. Cardiology in the Young. 2011;21:148.
- Said SM, et al. Longer-term issues for young adults with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: Contraception, pregnancy, transition, transfer, counselling, and re-operation. Cardiology in the Young. 2011;21: 93.
- Goldberg CS, et al. Neurodevelopment and quality of life for children with hypoplastic left heart syndrome: Current knowns and unknowns. Cardiology in the Young. 2011;21: 88.
- Waltzman M. Initial evaluation of shock in children. http://www.uptodate.com/index. Accessed June 27, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.