Similar to the way a car needs gas to run, your body and brain need a constant supply of sugar (glucose) to function properly. If glucose levels become too low, as occurs with hypoglycemia, it can cause these signs and symptoms:
- Heart palpitations
- Pale skin
- Tingling sensation around the mouth
- Crying out during sleep
As hypoglycemia worsens, signs and symptoms may include:
- Confusion, abnormal behavior or both, such as the inability to complete routine tasks
- Visual disturbances, such as blurred vision
- Loss of consciousness
People with severe hypoglycemia may appear as if they're intoxicated. They may slur their words and move clumsily.
Many conditions other than hypoglycemia may cause these signs and symptoms. A blood sample to test your blood sugar level at the time of these signs and symptoms is how to know for sure that hypoglycemia is the cause.
When to see a doctor
Seek a doctor's help immediately if:
- You have what may be symptoms of hypoglycemia and you don't have diabetes.
- You have diabetes and hypoglycemia isn't responding to treatment. Initial treatment of hypoglycemia is drinking juice or regular soft drinks, eating candy or taking glucose tablets. If this treatment doesn't raise your blood sugar and improve your symptoms, contact your doctor right away.
Seek emergency help if:
Jan. 20, 2015
- If someone with diabetes or a history of recurring hypoglycemia has symptoms of severe hypoglycemia or loses consciousness
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookid=331. Accessed Dec. 24, 2014.
- Hypoglycemia. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/hypoglycemia/index.aspx. Accessed Dec. 28, 2014.
- Gardner DG, et al. Greenspan's Basic & Clinical Endocrinology. 9th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://accessmedicine.mhmedical.com/book.aspx?bookId=380. Accessed Dec. 24, 2014.
- Standards of medical care in diabetes — 2015. Diabetes Care. 2015;38 (suppl):s7.
- Service FJ, et al. Hypoglycemia in adults: Clinical manifestations, definition, and causes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 24, 2014.
- Hypoglycemia. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine_and_metabolic_disorders/diabetes_mellitus_and_disorders_of_carbohydrate_metabolism/hypoglycemia.html#v989452. Accessed Dec. 24, 2014.