Treatment for hypochondria can include psychological counseling, education and medications.
Nov. 23, 2010
- Psychological counseling. Psychological counseling (psychotherapy) is the primary treatment for hypochondria. A form of psychotherapy called cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) may be the most effective treatment. Cognitive behavioral therapy helps you recognize and stop behavior associated with your anxiety, such as constantly monitoring your body for problems. Sometimes counseling may include exposure therapy, in which you directly confront your health fears in a safe environment and learn skills to cope with these uncomfortable sensations.
- Education about hypochondria. Known as psychoeducation, this type of counseling can help you and your family better understand what hypochondria is, why you have it and how to cope with your health fears.
- Medications. Certain antidepressant medications may be helpful in treating hypochondria. Examples include serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such fluoxetine (Prozac), fluvoxamine (Luvox) and paroxetine (Paxil); and tricyclic antidepressants such as clomipramine (Anafranil) and imipramine (Tofranil). Your doctor may prescribe other medications, particularly if you also have another psychological or physical condition.
- Hypochondriasis. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-IV-TR. 4th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2000. http://www.psychiatryonline.com. Accessed Aug. 27, 2010.
- Asmundson GJ. Health anxiety: Current perspectives and future directions. Current Psychiatry Reports. 2010;12:306.
- Greenberg DB, et al. Somatization. In: Stern TA, et al. Massachusetts General Hospital Comprehensive Clinical Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2008. http://www.mdconsult.com/das/book/body/217852368-5/0/1657/229.html?tocnode=57542807&fromURL=229.html#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-04743-2..50026-3_582. Accessed Aug. 27, 2010.
- Ferri FF. Hypochondriasis. In: Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2011: Instant Diagnosis and Treatment. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2011. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/page.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc29050&isbn=978-0-323-05610-6&type=bookPage§ionEid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc29050&uniqId=217852368-6#4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05610-6..00017-2--sc29050. Accessed Aug 27, 2011.
- Smith RC. Primary care management of medically unexplained symptoms. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 27, 2010.
- Greenberg DB. Primary care management of medically unexplained symptoms. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Aug. 27, 2010.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.