Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care like they've never experienced. See the stories of satisfied Mayo Clinic patients.
The Flu, a Grocery Store Clinic and a Mayo Clinic Nurse May Have Saved My Life
My head pounded incessantly. With every sip of water, I felt like I was swallowing razor blades. I coughed and wheezed so hard that my stomach muscles ached. But as sick as I was, this would be one of my healthiest days, because a visit with a vigilant nurse practitioner at Mayo Clinic may have [...]
Following Her Father's Last Words, Vivian Finds New Life Because of Mayo Clinic
Vivian Tsai remembers the last words her father said to her: "See a doctor." He recognized her symptoms. For years, puzzling symptoms and a troubling medical condition had stalked their family. Growing up in Taiwan, Vivian was athletic and seemed to be healthy. However, she began to lose strength in her early 30s and went [...]
Alvin Haworth: Trust Yourself —and Keep Asking Questions
Sixty five-year-old Alvin Haworth, a retired United States Navy pilot and operations analyst, was enjoying an active retirement in Jupiter, Florida. He worked first as an aircraft engine manufacturer analyst and, later, as an instructor at a local community college teaching calculus and statistics. Used to rigorous physical activity during his service in the Navy, [...]
Crystal M: My Mayo Clinic Story
Crystal M writes from North Carolina: I saw the invitation to share your story in the newsletter and thought that I would share mine with you. I am a Family Nurse Practitioner in hospitalist medicine, working in an approximate 150 bed facility in North Carolina. At the age of 23 I was diagnosed with Hypertrophic [...]
Heart Transplant Opens Door to Leading a Full Life
For 33-year-old Tara Brigham of Jacksonville, Florida, living with a heart condition since birth wasn't something that was going to get in the way of living an active normal life. In fact, she says the heart transplant she received six years ago as a result of her condition has made her life even more fulfilling. [...]
Feb. 18, 2015
- Maron MS, et al. Overview of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy management including treatment of special problems http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) and what is the role of genetic testing? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Jacoby DL, et al. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Diagnosis, risk stratification and treatment. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:127.
- Gersh BJ, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Executive summary: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. 2011;124:2761.
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/Cardiomyopathy/Hypertrophic-Cardiomyopathy_UCM_444317_Article.jsp. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Maron MS, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and evaluation of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Maron MS. Atrial fibrillation in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Maron MS. Genetics of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Elliott PM, et al. Ventricular arrhythmias and sudden cardiac arrest in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Maron MS. Medical therapy in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 7, 2014.
- Maron MS. Nonpharmacologic therapy of outflow obstruction in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 11, 2014.
- Maron BJ, et al. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Present and future, with translation into contemporary cardiovascular medicine. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2014;64:83.
- Said SM, et al. Surgical treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy. 2013;11:617.
- Prevention and treatment of cardiomyopathy. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/More/Cardiomyopathy/Prevention-and-Treatment-of-Cardiomyopathy_UCM_444176_Article.jsp. Accessed Dec. 12, 2014.
- Living with cardiomyopathy. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/cm/livingwith. Accessed Dec. 12, 2014.
- Pelliccia A, et al. Risk of sudden cardiac death in athletes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 12, 2014.
- Cook AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 13, 2014.
- Dearani JA, et al. Surgery insight: Septal myectomy for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy — The Mayo Clinic experience. Nature Clinical Practice Cardiovascular Medicine. 2007;4:503.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Dec. 1, 2014.
- U.S. News Best Hospitals 2014-15. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings. Accessed Dec. 29, 2014.
- Ommen SR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 13, 2015.
- Constans DM. Echo Report Yearly Volumes. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Accessed Jan. 12, 2015.
- Kirklin JW, et al. Surgical relief of diffuse subvalvular aortic stenosis. Circulation. 1961;24:739.
News, connections and conversations for your health