Signs and symptoms of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy include:
- Shortness of breath, especially during exercise
- Chest pain, especially during exercise
- Fainting, especially during exercise or exertion
- Sensation of rapid, fluttering or pounding heartbeats (palpitations)
- Heart murmur, which a doctor might detect while listening to your heart
When to see a doctor
A number of conditions can cause shortness of breath and heart palpitations. It's important to get a prompt, accurate diagnosis and appropriate care. See your doctor if you experience any symptoms associated with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.
Call 911 or your local emergency number if you experience any of the following symptoms for more than a few minutes:
Feb. 22, 2014
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Difficulty breathing
- Chest pain
- Maron MS, et al. Overview of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy management including treatment of special problems http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- AskMayoExpert. What tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM), and what is the role of genetic testing? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Bonow RO, et al. Braunwald's Heart Disease: A Textbook of Cardiovascular Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 26, 2013.
- Jacoby DL, et al. Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Diagnosis, risk stratification and treatment. Canadian Medical Association Journal. 2013;185:127.
- Gersh BJ, et al. 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: Executive summary: A report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines. Circulation. 2011;124:2761.
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. American Heart Association. http://www.heart.org/idc/groups/heart-public/@wcm/@hcm/documents/downloadable/ucm_312225.pdf. Accessed Sept. 28, 2013.
- Ommen SR (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Oct. 3, 2013.