Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Treatments and drugs
Oct. 28, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperthyroidism. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Ross DS. Diagnosis of hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Ross DS. Overview of the clinical manifestations of hyperthyroidism in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Ross DS. Disorders that cause hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Hyperthyroidism. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/thyroid-disorders/hyperthyroidism. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Thyroid disorders: Hyperthyroidism and thyroid storm. In: Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Hyperthyroidism. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-hyperthyroidism/. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Graves' disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/graves-disease/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Institute of Medicine. http://www.iom.edu/vitamind. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2015.