Heart palpitations are skipped, fluttering or racing heartbeats that aren't usually a symptom of a serious heart problem. Discover the causes and symptoms of this condition.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tachycardia, a rapid heart rate, is caused by an abnormality in your heart's electrical impulses. Tachycardia can cause serious complications, including sudden cardiac arrest.
Treatments and drugs
Oct. 28, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperthyroidism. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Ross DS. Diagnosis of hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Ross DS. Overview of the clinical manifestations of hyperthyroidism in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Ross DS. Disorders that cause hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Hyperthyroidism. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/endocrine-and-metabolic-disorders/thyroid-disorders/hyperthyroidism. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Thyroid disorders: Hyperthyroidism and thyroid storm. In: Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Hyperthyroidism. American Thyroid Association. http://www.thyroid.org/what-is-hyperthyroidism/. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Graves' disease. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/endocrine/graves-disease/Pages/fact-sheet.aspx. Accessed Sept. 11, 2015.
- Dietary reference intakes for calcium and vitamin D. Institute of Medicine. http://www.iom.edu/vitamind. Accessed July 17, 2012.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 18, 2015.