Take control of your mood and health. Explore the many depression treatment options and learn coping skills.
Extreme temperatures — hot or cold — can take a toll on your skin. Here's how to pamper and protect it.
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Hair loss may result from heredity, medications or underlying medical conditions. Learn how to cope.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Peripheral neuropathy symptoms can range from annoying to disabling. Learn how to deal with the burning, numbness and tingling.
Wonder if you should add strength training to your fitness program? The short answer is yes. Here's why.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
X-rays are a form of radiation that can make images of your bones and internal organs.
May. 28, 2014
- Primary hyperparathyroidism. National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service. http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/hyper/. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- El-Hajj Fuleihan G. Pathogenesis and etiology of primary hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Bilezikian JP, et al. Guidelines for the management of asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: Summary statement from the third international workshop. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2009;94:335.
- Hormone replacement therapy. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Vitamin D: Fact sheet for consumers. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-QuickFacts. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Calcium: Fact sheet for consumers. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-QuickFacts. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Smoking and bone health. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases — National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/Conditions_Behaviors/bone_smoking.asp. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Korkmaz HA, et al. Neonatal seizure as a manifestation of unrecognized maternal hyperparathyroidism. Journal of Clinical Research in Pediatric Endocrinology. 2013;5:206.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 28, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.