Lifestyle and home remedies
Wonder if you should add strength training to your fitness program? The short answer is yes. Here's why.
Extreme temperatures — hot or cold — can take a toll on your skin. Here's how to pamper and protect it.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Tests and diagnosis
An electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG) is a test that provides valuable clues about your heart health. Here's what you need to know about the test.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
June 09, 2015
- Primary hyperparathyroidism. National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service. http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/hyper/. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- El-Hajj Fuleihan G. Pathogenesis and etiology of primary hyperthyroidism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Bilezikian JP, et al. Guidelines for the management of asymptomatic primary hyperparathyroidism: Summary statement from the third international workshop. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism. 2009;94:335.
- Hormone replacement therapy. Micromedex 2.0 Healthcare Series. http://www.micromedexsolutions.com. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Vitamin D: Fact sheet for consumers. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-QuickFacts. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Calcium: Fact sheet for consumers. Office of Dietary Supplements. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Calcium-QuickFacts. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Smoking and bone health. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases — National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/Conditions_Behaviors/bone_smoking.asp. Accessed Feb. 15, 2014.
- Korkmaz HA, et al. Neonatal seizure as a manifestation of unrecognized maternal hyperparathyroidism. Journal of Clinical Research in Pediatric Endocrinology. 2013;5:206.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 28, 2014.