Hyperhidrosis can be distressing. You may have trouble working or enjoying recreational activities because of wet hands or feet or wet stains on clothing. You might feel embarrassed or anxious about your symptoms and become withdrawn or self-conscious. You may be frustrated or upset by other people's reactions.
Besides talking with your doctor, you may want to talk with a counselor or a medical social worker. Or you may find it helpful to talk with other people who have hyperhidrosis.
Aug. 18, 2015
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperhidrosis (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Hyperhidrosis. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic-disorders/sweating-disorders/hyperhidrosis. Accessed July 7, 2015.
- Smith CC, et al. Primary focal hyperhidrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Robertson D, et al., eds. Sweating. In: Primer on the Autonomic Nervous System. 3rd ed. Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier; 2012.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Disorders of the eccrine sweat glands and sweating. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- What is a heart attack? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Marx JA, et al. Heat illness. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Bolognia JL, et al. Diseases of the eccrine and apocrine sweat glands. In: Dermatology Essentials. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Eisenach JH, et al. Hyperhidrosis: Evolving therapies for a well-established phenomenon. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:657.
- Hyperhidrosis. International Hyperhidrosis Society. www.sweathelp.org. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Semkova K, et al. Hyperhidrosis, bromhidrosis and chromhidrosis: Fold (intertriginous) dermatoses. Clinics in Dermatology. 2015;33:483. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Cerfolio RJ, et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons expert consensus for the surgical treatment of hyperhidrosis. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2011;91:1642.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Hyperhidrosis. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hyperhidrosis. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Stashak A, et al. Management of hyperhidrosis. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2014;7:285.
- Lehman JS. Writer's block: "Texting" impairment as a complication of botulinum toxin type A therapy for palmar hyperhidrosis. Archives of Dermatology. 2011;147:752.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 22, 2015.