Complications of hyperhidrosis include:
Aug. 18, 2015
- Infections. People who sweat profusely are more prone to skin infections.
- Social and emotional effects. Having clammy or dripping hands and perspiration-soaked clothes can be embarrassing. Your condition may affect your pursuit of work and educational goals.
- AskMayoExpert. Hyperhidrosis (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Hyperhidrosis. Merck Manual Professional Version. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/dermatologic-disorders/sweating-disorders/hyperhidrosis. Accessed July 7, 2015.
- Smith CC, et al. Primary focal hyperhidrosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Robertson D, et al., eds. Sweating. In: Primer on the Autonomic Nervous System. 3rd ed. Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier; 2012.
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Disorders of the eccrine sweat glands and sweating. In: Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- What is a heart attack? National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/heartattack. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Marx JA, et al. Heat illness. In: Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 10, 2015.
- Bolognia JL, et al. Diseases of the eccrine and apocrine sweat glands. In: Dermatology Essentials. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 2, 2015.
- Eisenach JH, et al. Hyperhidrosis: Evolving therapies for a well-established phenomenon. Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2005;80:657.
- Hyperhidrosis. International Hyperhidrosis Society. www.sweathelp.org. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Semkova K, et al. Hyperhidrosis, bromhidrosis and chromhidrosis: Fold (intertriginous) dermatoses. Clinics in Dermatology. 2015;33:483. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Cerfolio RJ, et al. The Society of Thoracic Surgeons expert consensus for the surgical treatment of hyperhidrosis. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2011;91:1642.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Hyperhidrosis (excessive sweating). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010.
- Hyperhidrosis. American Academy of Dermatology. https://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/hyperhidrosis. Accessed July 14, 2015.
- Stashak A, et al. Management of hyperhidrosis. Clinical, Cosmetic and Investigational Dermatology. 2014;7:285.
- Lehman JS. Writer's block: "Texting" impairment as a complication of botulinum toxin type A therapy for palmar hyperhidrosis. Archives of Dermatology. 2011;147:752.
- Riggin EA. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. April 22, 2015.