Hypereosinophilic (hy-per-ee-o-SIN-o-phil-ik) syndrome (HES) refers to a group of blood disorders that occur when you have high numbers of eosinophils — white blood cells that play an important role in your immune system. Over time, these high numbers of eosinophils enter various tissues, causing inflammation and eventually damaging your organs, most commonly targeting the skin, lung, heart, blood and nervous system. Hypereosinophilic syndrome can become life-threatening if not treated.
HES can affect anyone, but it occurs more often in men, usually between 20 and 50 years of age. Symptoms of HES vary, depending on what part of your body is affected. Skin symptoms include itching and rashes, for example. If your lungs are affected, you may be short of breath and have a cough.
April 28, 2015
- Hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES). American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology. http://www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/related-conditions/hypereosinophilic-syndrome.aspx. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- AskMayoExpert. What is the definition of the hypereosinophilic syndrome? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2015.
- Eosinophilia. The Merck Manual Professional Edition. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/hematology_and_oncology/eosinophilic_disorders/hyper eosinophilic_syndrome.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2015.
- Roufosse F, et al. Clinical manifestations, pathophysiology, and diagnosis of the hypereosinophilic syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Jan. 29, 2015.
- Roufosse F, et al. Treatment of the hypereosinophilic syndromes. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Jan. 29, 2015.
- Gotlib J. World Health Organization-defined eosinophilic disorders: 2014 update on diagnosis, risk stratification, and management. American Journal of Hematology. 2014; 89:325-37.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb.12, 2015.
- Kita, H. Alternaria and ribonucleases in Th2-type immunity. National Institutes of Health. http://projectreporter.nih.gov/. Accessed March 17, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.