Bone metastasis occurs when cancer spreads to the bones.
Lifestyle and home remedies
Want to lose weight? Boost your mood? Increase your stamina? Then add aerobic activity to your routine.
Having a plan to stop smoking or stop using other tobacco may help you quit for good. Here's how to put a quit-smoking plan in place.
Drinking eight glasses of water a day yet still feel thirsty? Find out why satisfying your water needs may not be that simple.
Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Mammography can lead to detection of breast cancer at its earliest and most treatable stage.
MRI uses a magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the organs and tissues within your body.
Treatments and drugs
During peritoneal dialysis, a fluid flows into your abdominal cavity where it draws wastes from blood vessels in your abdominal wall. The fluid is then withdrawn and discarded.
Apr. 25, 2014
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Shane E. Clinical manifestations of hypercalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 3, 2014.
- Primary hyperparathyroidism. National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service. http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/hyper. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Horwitz MJ. Hypercalcemia of malignancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypercalcemia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Shane E, et al. Treatment of hypercalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Osteoporosis overview. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/overview.asp. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.