If you develop hypercalcemia, it may be possible to prevent bone and kidney damage by doing the following:
Apr. 25, 2014
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially water. Drinking fluids can help keep you from dehydration and help prevent kidney stones from forming.
- Exercise. Once your calcium levels return to normal, and if you're otherwise healthy, it's important to remain active to help maintain bone density. Try to combine strength training with weight-bearing exercises.
- Don't smoke. Smoking has been shown to increase bone loss as well as dramatically increase your risk of a number of serious health problems. Talk to your doctor about the best ways to quit.
- Longo DL, et al. Harrison's Online. 18th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=4. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Shane E. Clinical manifestations of hypercalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Goldman L, et al. Goldman's Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 3, 2014.
- Primary hyperparathyroidism. National Endocrine and Metabolic Diseases Information Service. http://endocrine.niddk.nih.gov/pubs/hyper. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Horwitz MJ. Hypercalcemia of malignancy. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Papadakis MA, ed., et al. Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment 2014. 53rd ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2014. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=1. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. Hypercalcemia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Shane E, et al. Treatment of hypercalcemia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
- Osteoporosis overview. NIH Osteoporosis and Related Bone Diseases National Resource Center. http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health_Info/Bone/Osteoporosis/overview.asp. Accessed Jan. 2, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.