- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists) and brain and nervous system surgery (neurosurgeons) have experience in treating hydrocephalus and related conditions. Doctors trained in treating children who have brain and nervous system conditions (pediatric neurologists) treat children who have hydrocephalus.
- Pediatric expertise. Mayo Clinic offers diagnosis, care and treatment in a child-friendly environment for children who have hydrocephalus. In Mayo's efficient system, your child can see multiple specialists and receive prompt testing and treatment. The care team also includes nurse specialists, social workers and behavioral health specialists.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic neurologists, neurosurgeons and other doctors work together to diagnose and treat people who have hydrocephalus.
- Prompt care. In Mayo Clinic's efficient system, doctors may evaluate you and develop your treatment plan in days, not weeks.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic also ranks among the Best Children's Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery.
Aug. 02, 2014
- Ellenbogen RG, et al. Principles of Neurological Surgery. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier. 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Haridas A, et al. Hydrocephalus. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Hydrocephalus fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/hydrocephalus/detail_hydrocephalus.htm. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Hydrocephalus. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. http://www.aans.org/Patient%20Information/Conditions%20and%20Treatments/Hydrocephalus.aspx . Accessed May 18, 2014.
- What can parents expect during their infant's well-child visits? National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. http://www.nichd.nih.gov/health/topics/infantcare/conditioninfo/Pages/well-child-visit.aspx. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Meningococcal vaccine: Who and when to vaccinate. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/mening/who-vaccinate.htm. Accessed May 18, 2014.
- Adams Waldorf KM, et al. Influence of infection during pregnancy on fetal development. Reproduction. 2013;146:R151.