Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

If you or your child has painless scrotal swelling, you might be referred to a doctor who specializes in urinary tract and male sexual disorders (urologist).

To get all the information you need from your doctor, it helps to be well-prepared for your appointment. Here's how.

What you can do

  • Make a list of any symptoms you or your child has had, and for how long.
  • Write down key medical information, including any recent injuries that might have affected the scrotum and any possible sources of infection, including STIs.
  • Make a list of all medications, vitamins or supplements that you or your child is currently taking.
  • Write down questions to ask your doctor.

For hydrocele, some basic questions to ask your doctor include:

  • What do you think is causing this swelling? Are there any other possible causes?
  • What kinds of tests are needed?
  • What treatment do you recommend, if any?
  • What signs or symptoms will indicate that it's time to treat this condition?
  • Do you recommend any restrictions on activity?

Don't hesitate to ask other questions that arise during your appointment.

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor is likely to ask you a number of questions. Being ready to answer them might reserve time to go over any points of concern.

If your child is affected, your doctor might ask:

  • When did you first notice this swelling? Has it increased over time?
  • Is your child in any pain?
  • Does your child have any other symptoms?

If you're affected, your doctor might ask:

  • When did you first notice the swelling?
  • Have you had any discharge from your penis or blood in your semen?
  • Do you have discomfort or pain in the affected area?
  • Do you have pain during intercourse or when you ejaculate?
  • Do you have a frequent or urgent need to urinate? Does it hurt when you urinate?
  • Have you and your partner been tested for STIs?
  • Do your hobbies or work involve heavy lifting?
  • Have you ever had a urinary tract or prostate infection, or other prostate conditions?
  • Have you ever had radiation or surgery in the affected area?

What you can do in the meantime

If you are a sexually active adult, avoid sexual contact that could put your partner at risk of contracting an STI, including sexual intercourse, oral sex and any skin-to-skin genital contact.

Oct. 09, 2014