Coping and supportBy Mayo Clinic Staff
A diagnosis of Hurthle cell cancer can be challenging and frightening. With time you'll find strategies to help you manage the stress and anxiety of a cancer diagnosis. Until then, here are some ideas to help you cope:
Jan. 24, 2015
- Find someone to talk with. You may feel comfortable discussing your feelings with a friend or family member, or you might prefer meeting with a formal support group. Support groups for the families of cancer survivors also are available.
- Let people help. Cancer treatments can be exhausting. Let friends and family know what would be most useful for you.
- Set reasonable goals. Having goals helps you feel in control and can give you a sense of purpose. But choose goals that you can reach.
- Take time for yourself. Eating well, relaxing and getting enough rest can help combat the stress and fatigue of cancer.
- Flint PW, et al. Cummings Otolaryngology: Head & Neck Surgery. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Thyroid carcinoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Niederhuber JE, et al., eds. Abeloff's Clinical Oncology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2014. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Auger M. Hurthle cells in fine-needle aspirants of the thyroid: A review of their diagnostic criteria and significance. Cancer Cytopathology. 2014;122:241.
- AskMayoExpert. What are differentiated thyroid cancers (DTCs)? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Revised American Thyroid Association management guidelines for patients with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer. Falls Church, Va.: American Thyroid Association. http://thyroidguidelines.net/revised/taskforce. Accessed Sept. 17, 2014.
- Tuttle RM. Differentiated thyroid cancer: Radioiodine treatment. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 11, 2014.
- What you need to know about thyroid cancer. National Cancer Institute. http://cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/thyroid. Accessed Nov. 11, 2014.
- Nippoldt TB (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 15, 2014.