- Experience. Mayo Clinic doctors trained in brain and nervous system conditions (neurologists) and other areas have experience evaluating people who have Huntington's disease and other neurological conditions.
- Team approach. Mayo Clinic neurologists, neurologists trained in movement disorders, doctors trained in medical genetics, doctors trained in mental health conditions (psychiatrists), speech therapists, physical and occupational therapists, and other specialists work together to provide your care.
- Supportive care. Though Huntington's disease can't be cured, Mayo Clinic doctors will help you and your family to manage your condition. Mayo Clinic staff also provides resources for you and your family to help you cope with your condition, and you may have the opportunity to participate in support groups.
- Research. Mayo Clinic doctors and researchers study the causes, progression, genetics and treatment options for Huntington's disease and conduct clinical trials.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks No. 1 for neurology and neurosurgery in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., are ranked among the Best Hospitals for neurology and neurosurgery by U.S. News & World Report.
July 24, 2014
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2014: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Tabrizi SJ, et al. Predictors of phenotypic progression and disease onset in premanifest and early-stage Huntington's disease in the TRACK-HD study: Analysis of 36-month observational data. The Lancet. 2013;12:637.
- Huntington's disease: Hope through research. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/huntington/huntington.htm. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Suchowersky O. Huntington disease: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 27, 2014.
- Huntington disease. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic_disorders/movement_and_cerebellar_disorders/huntington_disease.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Huntington's disease: A family guide. Huntington's Disease Society of America. http://www.hdsa.org/living-with-huntingtons/publications/index.html. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Novak MJ, et al. Huntington's disease. British Medical Journal. 2010;340:c3109.
- Suchowersky O. Huntington disease: Management. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 29, 2014.
- Bower JH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 5, 2014.
- Knopman DS (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 5, 2014.