The National Cancer Institute (NCI) supports Hodgkin's lymphoma research at Mayo Clinic through a Lymphoma Specialized Program of Research Excellence (Lymphoma SPORE) grant. Also, Mayo Clinic is a member of the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology, a national clinical research group that conducts top-quality trials aimed at controlling, treating and preventing cancer. In the Mayo Clinic tradition of teamwork, Hodgkin's lymphoma researchers meet regularly with doctors and scientists in other specialties to share knowledge.
Mayo uses blood samples from thousands of people with Hodgkin's lymphoma for research on this disease. Areas of research include:
- Prevention, detection, causes and genetics
- Treatments using drugs that disrupt lymphoma cells' signaling pathways, preventing tumor growth
- New chemotherapy drugs
- More-effective and less toxic treatments, compared with conventional treatments
- Blood and bone marrow stem cell transplant and post-stem cell transplant immune response therapy
- Using your own (autologous) stem cells for transplantation
- New methods of stem cell harvest to improve immune system recovery after transplant
See a list of publications by Mayo Clinic doctors on Hodgkin's lymphoma on PubMed, a program of the National Library of Medicine.
Jul. 09, 2011
- Diehl V, et al. Hodgkin lymphoma: Clinical manifestations, staging and therapy. In: Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2009. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-443-06715-0..X5001-8--TOP&isbn=978-0-443-06715-0&uniqId=230100505-56. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- Hodgkin lymphoma. Fort Washington, Pa.: National Comprehensive Cancer Network. http://www.nccn.org/professionals/physician_gls/f_guidelines.asp. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- What you need to know about Hodgkin lymphoma. National Cancer Institute. http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/wyntk/hodgkin/AllPages. Accessed May 23, 2011.
- Integrative medicine & complementary and alternative therapies as part of blood cancer care. The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. http://www.lls.org/resourcecenter/freeeducationmaterials/treatment/integrativemedandcam. Accessed May 23, 2011.