Treatments and drugs
Cognitive behavioral therapy is one of the most common types of psychotherapy. It focuses on specific issues and goals to improve your life.
Psychotherapy is one way to treat many mental illnesses. See how therapy is used and which type may be best for you.
May 08, 2014
- Hoarding disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Obsessive compulsive and related disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Hoarding fact sheet. International OCD Foundation. http://www.ocfoundation.org/hoarding/fact_sheet.aspx. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Hoarding: The basics. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/hoarding-basics. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Ale CM, et al. Family-based behavioral treatment of pediatric compulsive hoarding: A case example. Clinical Case Studies. 2014;13:9.
- Symonds A, et al. Shining a light on hoarding disorder. Nursing. 2013;43:22.
- Murroff J, et al. Cognitive behavior therapy for hoarding disorder: Follow-up findings and predictors of outcome. Depression and Anxiety. In press. Accessed Feb. 14, 2014.
- Pallanti S, et al. Pharmacological, experimental therapeutic, and transcranial magnetic stimulation treatments for compulsivity and impulsivity. CNS Spectrums. 2014;19:50.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2014.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2014.