Because little is understood about what causes hoarding disorder, there's no known way to prevent it. However, as with many mental conditions, getting treatment at the first sign of a problem may help prevent hoarding from becoming severe.
May. 08, 2014
- Hoarding disorder. In: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders DSM-5. 5th ed. Arlington, Va.: American Psychiatric Association; 2013. http://www.psychiatryonline.org. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Highlights of changes from DSM-IV-TR to DSM-5. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Documents/changes%20from%20dsm-iv-tr%20to%20dsm-5.pdf. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Obsessive compulsive and related disorders. American Psychiatric Association. http://www.dsm5.org/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Hoarding fact sheet. International OCD Foundation. http://www.ocfoundation.org/hoarding/fact_sheet.aspx. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Hoarding: The basics. Anxiety and Depression Association of America. http://www.adaa.org/understanding-anxiety/obsessive-compulsive-disorder-ocd/hoarding-basics. Accessed Feb. 12, 2014.
- Ale CM, et al. Family-based behavioral treatment of pediatric compulsive hoarding: A case example. Clinical Case Studies. 2014;13:9.
- Symonds A, et al. Shining a light on hoarding disorder. Nursing. 2013;43:22.
- Murroff J, et al. Cognitive behavior therapy for hoarding disorder: Follow-up findings and predictors of outcome. Depression and Anxiety. In press. Accessed Feb. 14, 2014.
- Pallanti S, et al. Pharmacological, experimental therapeutic, and transcranial magnetic stimulation treatments for compulsivity and impulsivity. CNS Spectrums. 2014;19:50.
- Whiteside SP (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 3, 2014.
- Hall-Flavin DK (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 4, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.