Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Find out how this battery of blood tests helps your doctor diagnose and monitor liver disease.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Thalidomide is infamous for the birth defects it caused. So why are doctors still prescribing it?
July 21, 2015
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Human immunodeficiency virus disease. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- What is HIV? AIDS.gov. http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Sax PE. Acute and early HIV infection: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Bartlett JG. The natural history and clinical history of HIV infection in adults and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Human immunodeficiency virus. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- HIV/AIDS. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/hivaids/understanding/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Guidelines for prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents. National Institutes of Health. https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/4/adult-and-adolescent-oi-prevention-and-treatment-guidelines/0. Accessed June 5, 2015.
- Pollack TM, et al. Primary care of HIV-infected adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of HIV/AIDS. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). AIDS.gov. https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/pre-exposure-prophylaxis/index.html. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Lower your sexual risk of HIV. AIDS.gov. https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/sexual-risk-factors/. Accessed June 3, 2015.