Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Thalidomide is infamous for the birth defects it caused. So why are doctors still prescribing it?
July 21, 2015
- Longo DL, et al., eds. Human immunodeficiency virus disease. In: Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 19th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2015. http://accessmedicine.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- What is HIV? AIDS.gov. http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Sax PE. Acute and early HIV infection: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Bartlett JG. The natural history and clinical history of HIV infection in adults and adolescents. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Ferri FF. Human immunodeficiency virus. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- HIV/AIDS. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/hivaids/understanding/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Guidelines for prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents. National Institutes of Health. https://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/4/adult-and-adolescent-oi-prevention-and-treatment-guidelines/0. Accessed June 5, 2015.
- Pollack TM, et al. Primary care of HIV-infected adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of HIV/AIDS. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP). AIDS.gov. https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/pre-exposure-prophylaxis/index.html. Accessed June 3, 2015.
- Lower your sexual risk of HIV. AIDS.gov. https://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/prevention/reduce-your-risk/sexual-risk-factors/. Accessed June 3, 2015.