Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Shortness of breath can be frightening. Most of the time, a heart or lung condition is the cause.
Tests and diagnosis
Find out how this battery of blood tests helps your doctor diagnose and monitor liver disease.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
Thalidomide is infamous for the birth defects it caused. So why are doctors still prescribing it?
May 20, 2014
- What is HIV/AIDS. AIDS.gov. http://www.aids.gov/hiv-aids-basics/. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- FDA approves first medication to reduce HIV risk. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm311821.htm. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- HIV/AIDS. National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. http://www.niaid.nih.gov/topics/hivaids/understanding/Pages/Default.aspx. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Bartlett JG. When to initiate antiretroviral therapy in HIV-infected patients. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Sax PE. Acute and early HIV infection: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Pollack TM, et al. Primary care of HIV-infected adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Bartlett JG. The stages and natural history of HIV infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Living with HIV. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/living/index.html. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Guidelines for prevention and treatment of opportunistic infections in HIV-infected adults and adolescents. National Institutes of Health. http://aidsinfo.nih.gov/guidelines/html/4/adult-and-adolescent-oi-prevention-and-treatment-guidelines/0. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Neurological complications of AIDS fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke. http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/aids/detail_aids.htm. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Eating defensively: Food safety advice for persons with AIDS. U.S. Food and Drug Administration. http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ByAudience/ForPatientAdvocates/HIVandAIDSActivities/ucm135844.htm. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Natural medicines in the clinical management of HIV/AIDS. Natural Medicines Comprehensive Database. http://www.naturaldatabase.com. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- HIV/AIDS programs: Find HIV/AIDS care. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. http://hab.hrsa.gov/gethelp/index.html. Accessed Dec. 8, 2013.
- Common side effects of HIV medicines. American Family Physician. 2011;83:1456.
- Preexposure prophylaxis for the prevention of HIV infection in the United States — 2014 clinical practice guideline. Atlanta, Ga. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/pdf/guidelines/PrEPguidelines2014.pdf?elq=0a349f52dfa74f48ae554056bc0e027e&elqCampaignId=8040. Accessed May 16, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.