Cushing syndrome is caused by an excess of the hormone cortisol, originating from your adrenal glands or from corticosteroid medications you're taking for another illness.
Pituitary tumors are abnormal growths in the pituitary gland in the brain. Most are noncancerous (benign). Some may cause overproduction of hormones and associated problems.
Tests and diagnosis
Treatments and drugs
Considering laser hair removal? Here's what you need to know, from preparation to results.
Feb. 19, 2014
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Obstetrics & Gynecology. 11th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=788. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013.
https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=45. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Pathogenesis and causes of hirsutism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Evaluation and treatment of hirsutism in premenopausal women: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Chevy Chase, Md.: The Endocrine Society. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=12241&search=hirsutism. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Evaluation of premenopausal women with hirsutism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Treatment of hirsutism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.