Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a common condition characterized by irregular menstrual periods, excess hair growth (hirsutism) and obesity.
Acne can affect people of all ages. Find out what causes acne and ways to keep breakouts under control.
Tests and diagnosis
A CT scan is an imaging test that uses X-rays to produce detailed images of the inside of your body.
Ultrasound imaging uses high-frequency sound waves to create images of structures in your body.
Treatments and drugs
Considering laser hair removal? Here's what you need to know, from preparation to results.
Feb. 19, 2014
- DeCherney AH, et al. Current Diagnosis & Treatment: Obstetrics & Gynecology. 11th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2013. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=788. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2013.
https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Wolff K, et al. Fitzpatrick's Color Atlas and Synopsis of Clinical Dermatology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=45. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Pathogenesis and causes of hirsutism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Evaluation and treatment of hirsutism in premenopausal women: An Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. Chevy Chase, Md.: The Endocrine Society. http://www.guideline.gov/content.aspx?id=12241&search=hirsutism. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Evaluation of premenopausal women with hirsutism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
- Barbieri RL, et al. Treatment of hirsutism. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Sept. 19, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.