Your Mayo Clinic care team
At Mayo Clinic, specialists from orthopedic surgery, sports medicine, and physical medicine and rehabilitation work together to get you moving again without pain.
Advanced diagnosis and treatment
At Mayo Clinic, you have access to the latest imaging technology to pinpoint the source of your hip pain. You can receive test results and a surgery date within one to two days.
Mayo surgeons are skilled in the latest techniques to correct hip impingement, including minimally invasive options. Examples include:
- Labrum repair and reconstruction. These procedures affect the ring of cartilage (labrum) that follows the outside rim of the hip socket.
- Decompression. This type of procedure reshapes the ball of the joint, to help it fit more properly into the hip socket.
- Osteotomy. Surgery on the pelvis can adjust the angle of the socket to help the ball fit more securely within the joint.
Nationally recognized expertise
Each year, Mayo Clinic doctors diagnose and treat more than 500 people who have hip impingement.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., and Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., are ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked highly performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Aug. 16, 2017
- DeLee JC, et al. Femoroacetabular impingement in athletes. In: DeLee & Drez's Orthopaedic Sports Medicine: Principles and Practice. 4th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Berry DJ, et al. Femoroacetabular impingement. In: Surgery of the Hip. Saunders Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- Femoroacetabular impingement (FAI). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00571. Accessed July 12, 2017.
- AskMayoExpert. Femoral acetabular impingement (adult and pediatric). Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2016.
- Krych AJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 24, 2017.
- Brown AY. Allscripts EPSi. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. March 30, 2017.