March 11, 2015
Below are current clinical trials.3 studies in Hip fracture
(open studies only).
Filter this list of studies by location, status and more.
Displaced femoral neck fractures are one group of hip fracture patients that are commonly treated with cemented hemiarthroplasty (HA) or total hip arthroplasty (THA). In the elective hip arthroplasty population, the direct anterior approach (DAA) has shown to be effective in helping patients to quickly obtain high postoperative function. This approach has also been shown to be effective in arthroplasty for displaced femoral neck fractures in a few studies. However, the only studies that directly compare two approaches for hip arthroplasty for femoral neck fractures utilize the anterolateral approach (ALA) versus posterior approach (PA) or DAA versus PA. No studies of which we are aware directly compare the DAA to the ALA. The DAA and ALA are the two most popular approaches for bipolar hemiarthroplasty at our institution, so we are setting out to determine the differences between them.
The purpose of this study is to identify an effective dose of bimagrumab that can increase lean muscle mass and improve physical function, then continue to assess the safety and effectiveness of bimagrumab in patients with muscle wasting after hip fracture surgery.
The purposes of this study are to assess the accuracy of dual-energy CT (DECT) virtual non-calcium technique to detect subtle or occult pelvic or hip fractures in emergency room patients and to assess the impact on confidence of detection of pelvic or hip fractures utilizing the VNCa technique in radiology trainees with varying degrees of training.
- Foster KW. Hip fractures in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 30, 2014.
- Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2014. Accessed Dec. 30, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What are risk factors for hip fracture? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 30, 2014.
- Reeve J, et al. The fragile elderly hip: Mechanisms associated with age-related strength and toughness. Bone. 2014;61:138.
- Kiel DP. Falls in older persons: Risk factors and patient evaluation. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 30, 2014.
- Beaupre LA, et al. Maximizing functional recovery following hip fracture in frail seniors. Best Practice & Research Clinical Rheumatology. 2013;27:771.
- Wirth CD, et al. Subclinical thyroid dysfunction and the risk for fractures: A clinical review and meta-analysis. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2014;161:189.
- Lewiecki EM. Prevention of osteoporosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 31, 2014.
- Hip fractures among older adults. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adulthipfx.html. Accessed Dec. 31, 2014.
- Morrison RS, et al. Medical consultation for patients with hip fracture. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 30, 2014.
- Takahashi PY (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 5, 2015.
- Canale ST, et al. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 12th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Mosby; 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 30, 2014.
- Rosen HN. The use of bisphosphonates in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 30, 2014.
- Hip fractures. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00392. Accessed Dec. 31, 2014.
- Fiatarone Singh MA. Exercise, nutrition, and managing hip fracture in older persons. Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 2014;17:12.
- Falls and factures. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/sites/default/files/falls_and_fractures_0.pdf. Accessed Dec. 31, 2014.
- Osteoporosis: The Bone Thief. National Institute on Aging. http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/osteoporosis. Accessed Dec. 31, 2014.