Call for an ambulance if you've fallen or otherwise injured your hip. Wait for paramedics to move you safely. If possible, have a family member or friend come with you to the hospital. He or she can help you answer questions and consider treatment options.
What to expect
Rescue and hospital staff are likely to ask these and similar questions:
Mar. 22, 2012
- Have you recently fallen or had another injury to your hip?
- What are your symptoms?
- How severe is your pain?
- Can you put weight on your leg on the side of your injured hip?
- Have you been diagnosed with any other medical conditions?
- Have you had a bone density test?
- What medications are you currently taking, including vitamins and supplements?
- Do you use alcohol?
- Do you smoke?
- Have you had surgery in the past? Were there any problems?
- Do any of your first-degree relatives — such as a parent or sibling — have a history of bone fractures or osteoporosis?
- Are you currently living independently?
- Miller RR, et al. Hip fractures. Halter JB, et al. In: Hazzard's Geriatric Medicine and Gerontology. 6th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2009. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=540. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Fiechtl JF, et al. Femur and hip. In: Marx JA, et al. Rosen's Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-05472-0..X0001-1--TOP&isbn=978-0-323-05472-0&uniqId=230100505-57. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Burroughs KE, et al. Hip fractures in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Hip fractures among older adults. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adulthipfx.html. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Hip fractures. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00392. Accessed Jan. 18, 2012.
- Lewiecki EM. Prevention of osteoporosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2012.
- Morrison RS, et al. Medical consultation for patients with hip fracture. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2012.
- Rosen HN. Bisphosphonates in the management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed Jan. 19, 2012.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.