- Experience. Mayo Clinic's hip surgeons are recognized nationally and internationally for their surgical technical excellence and innovative abilities to solve both straightforward and complex hip dysplasia problems. Each year, Mayo Clinic treats more than 500 people with hip dysplasia or hip labral tears, and has done so for decades. Mayo Clinic hip dysplasia experts frequently are asked to travel worldwide to educate other surgeons and to provide insight into the latest operative techniques.
- Innovative methods. Mayo Clinic hip dysplasia surgeons are at the forefront of new and innovative treatment options for patients with hip dysplasia. Mayo Clinic has extensive experience with surgical procedures that reorient the hip socket (periacetabular osteotomy). Few centers in the world match Mayo Clinic's 20-year track record of experience with periacetabular osteotomy for adolescents and young adults with hip dysplasia. Patient-specific surgical options combined with advanced pain management and rehabilitation protocols have helped Mayo Clinic hip surgeons dramatically improve the lives of patients with these difficult and often complex hip problems.
- Unique surgical procedures. Mayo Clinic is one of the few centers in the world to offer combined arthroscopic hip labral repair and periacetabular osteotomy in a single surgery. For select adolescent and adult patients that combined procedure is particularly appealing, as it eliminates the traditional need for a second surgical procedure.
- Team approach. The team approach is a hallmark of Mayo Clinic. For those patients with a hip dysplasia problem, Mayo Clinic experts in orthopedic surgery, sports medicine, and physical medicine and rehabilitation work together. The Mayo Clinic hip dysplasia team seeks to first understand the full extent of your hip problem and then implements a treatment plan that ultimately maximizes your function.
- Efficient care. At Mayo Clinic you can be evaluated by an expert hip dysplasia surgeon and receive test results, detailed treatment recommendations, and a confirmed date for surgery within a single visit of one or two days.
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and Mayo Clinic in Phoenix/Scottsdale, Arizona, are ranked among the Best Hospitals for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report. Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Florida, is ranked high performing for orthopedics by U.S. News & World Report.
Learn more about Mayo Clinic's orthopedic surgery department's expertise and rankings.
March 18, 2015
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Rosenfeld SB. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: Epidemiology and pathogenesis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Developmental dislocation (dysplasia) of the hip (DDH). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00347. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Rosenfeld SB. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: Clinical features and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Rosenfeld SB. Developmental dysplasia of the hip: Treatment and outcome. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Dec. 8, 2014.
- Krych AJ (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 12, 2015.
- Zaltz I, et al. Complications associated with the periacetabular osteotomy: A prospective multicenter study. The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery, American volume. 201;96:1967.
- Miller HL. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 21, 2014.
- Cooper AP, et al. Evidence-based management of developmental dysplasia of the hip. Orthopedic Clinics of North America. 2014;45:341.
- Redmond JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, Fla. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Miller HL. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 8, 2015.
- Pagnano MW (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 22, 2015.
- Larson AN (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 10, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.