Hidradenitis suppurativa can be painful, unsightly and, if the lesions are draining, foul smelling. The ongoing, persistent nature of the disease and the treatment challenges only add to the burden. You might feel embarrassed or anxious about your symptoms and become withdrawn or self-conscious. You may be frustrated or upset by other people's reactions.
Family and friends can help you tremendously as you go through this difficult time. Sometimes, though, that simply may not be enough. A professional counselor may be able to suggest various coping strategies to help you feel better about your situation. You may also find the concern and understanding of other people with hidradenitis suppurativa especially comforting. Online support groups can connect you with other people living with the condition.
Apr. 09, 2013
- Goldsmith LA, et al., eds. Fitzpatrick's Dermatology in General Medicine. 8th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2012. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=740. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Margesson LJ, et al. Pathogenesis, clinical features and diagnosis of hidradenitis suppurativa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Danby WF, et al. Hidradenitis suppurativa. Dermatologic Clinics. 2010;28:779.
- AskMayoExpert. Hidradenitis suppurativa. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2013.
- Margesson LJ, et al. Treatment of hidradenitis suppurativa. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013:5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed Feb. 11, 2013.
- Gibson LE (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Feb. 14, 2013.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.