Although there's no certain way to stop hiccups, if you have a bout of hiccups that lasts longer than a few minutes, the following home remedies may provide relief, although they are unproven:
- Breathe into a paper bag
- Gargle with ice water
- Hold your breath
- Sip cold water
If you have chronic hiccups, lifestyle changes may help:
- Avoid carbonated beverages and gas-producing foods
- Eat smaller meals
May 24, 2017
- Bope ET, et al. Symptomatic care pending diagnosis. In: Conn's Current Therapy 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 6, 2017.
- Walsh D, et al. Hiccups. In: Palliative Medicine. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2009. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Feb. 6, 2017.
- Lembo AJ. Overview of hiccups. http://uptodate.com/home. Accessed Feb. 6, 2017.
- Steger M, et al. Systemic review: The pathogenesis and pharmacological treatment of hiccups. Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics. 2015;42:1037.