While you may initially consult your family doctor about your persistent hiccups, he or she may refer you to a specialist if you have persistent or severe hiccups.
What you can do
You may want to write a list that includes:
- Detailed descriptions of your symptoms
- Information about medical problems you've had
- Information about the medical problems of your parents or siblings
- All the medications and dietary supplements you take
- Questions you want to ask the doctor
What to expect from your doctor
Your doctor may ask:
- When did your hiccups start?
- How often do they occur?
- Is there anything that worsens or alleviates them?
- What medications are you taking?
- Have you had a sore throat or earache?
- Do you have indigestion symptoms or bloating?
- Have you had a sore throat or changes in your voice?
- Have you had chest pain, a cough or difficulty breathing?
- Do you have headaches or other neurological symptoms?