- Mayo Clinic specialists have vast experience with hiatal hernias, treating more than 10,000 people each year. Mayo surgeons specialize in repairing hernias in the esophagus and chest.
Efficient, timely care at Mayo Clinic revolves around you and your needs. A detailed itinerary for appointments, tests and procedures allows you to make the most of your time at the clinic. Mayo Clinic specialists run all tests and labs themselves, which means tests taken in the morning can be reviewed the same afternoon.
Mayo's collaborative approach means two or three days often yields the same diagnosis and care insights that could take weeks in less coordinated institutions.
- Mayo Clinic's teamwork system brings together a wide range of specialists to treat your problem — digestive specialists (gastroenterologists), imaging specialists (radiologists), and chest (thoracic) and abdominal surgeons. All three Mayo Clinic locations have special esophageal clinics to coordinate care for people with hiatal hernia.
- Mayo doctors take the time to listen closely. Mayo doctors get to know you and your concerns completely, and explain your options in plain language. Through long experience, Mayo doctors have learned that understanding and considering all your issues is key to developing the most effective treatment plan.
Why choose Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn., ranks #1 for digestive disorders in the U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals rankings. Mayo Clinic in Scottsdale, Ariz., is ranked among the Best Hospitals and Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville, Fla., is ranked high performing for digestive disorders by U.S. News & World Report.
Mayo Clinic: Answers you can trust
At Mayo Clinic, we assemble a team of specialists who take the time to listen and thoroughly understand your health issues and concerns. We tailor the care you receive to your personal health care needs. You can trust our specialists to collaborate and offer you the best possible outcomes, safety and service.
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit medical institution that reinvests all earnings into improving medical practice, research and education. We're constantly involved in innovation and medical research, finding solutions to improve your care and quality of life. Your doctor or someone on your medical team is likely involved in research related to your condition.
Our patients tell us that the quality of their interactions, our attention to detail and the efficiency of their visits mean health care — and trusted answers — like they've never experienced.
Why Choose Mayo Clinic
What Sets Mayo Clinic Apart
Feb. 03, 2015
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Kahrilas PJ. Hiatus hernia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Yeo CJ. Shackelford's Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Mahawar KK, et al. Simultaneous sleeve gastrectomy and hiatus hernia repair: A systematic review. Obesity Surgery. 2015;25:159.
- Katz PO, et al. Corrigendum: Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:308.
- Guidelines for the management of hiatal hernia. Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. http://www.sages.org/publications/guidelines/guidelines-for-the-management-of-hiatal-hernia/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 9, 2015.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 18, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 10, 2015.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.