Treatment at Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
In most cases, small hernias do not cause symptoms or require treatment. For people with a large hiatal hernia, repair surgery is sometimes the best option when medications and lifestyle changes have been ineffective.
Repair surgery initially involves pulling your stomach down into your abdomen (reduction). This surgery may be combined with other surgeries, such as those for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or weight-loss (bariatric).
Based on the cause of your symptoms, your doctor may recommend one of the following additional surgical options:
Feb. 03, 2015
- Fundoplication. The top part of the stomach is wrapped around the bottom part of the esophagus to strengthen it. The defect in the diaphragm also is closed.
- Gastropexy. The stomach is attached to the ligament of the diaphragm, if it moves around easily after reduction.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Kahrilas PJ. Hiatus hernia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Yeo CJ. Shackelford's Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Mahawar KK, et al. Simultaneous sleeve gastrectomy and hiatus hernia repair: A systematic review. Obesity Surgery. 2015;25:159.
- Katz PO, et al. Corrigendum: Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:308.
- Guidelines for the management of hiatal hernia. Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. http://www.sages.org/publications/guidelines/guidelines-for-the-management-of-hiatal-hernia/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 9, 2015.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 18, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 10, 2015.