Diagnosis at Mayo ClinicBy Mayo Clinic Staff
Mayo's experience helps doctors recognize hiatal hernias or other possible causes of your symptoms. Diagnosis of a hiatal hernia begins with a thorough review of your medical history and a physical exam. Mayo Clinic offers all standard diagnostic tests for hiatal hernia, including esophagography, endoscopy and manometry.
For people with symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), Mayo Clinic offers a comprehensive evaluation to diagnose your condition, including pH capsule testing and 24-hour impedance pH testing.
During 24-hour impedance pH testing, your doctor places a thin, flexible catheter with an acid-sensitive and fluid-sensitive tip through your nose into your esophagus. Over the course of 24 hours, the catheter records the flow of liquid from your stomach into your esophagus.
This test has the advantage of measuring both acid and nonacid reflux and is typically used with people on maximal therapy for reflux. The results can help doctors design a course of treatment for you.
Results for all tests are typically available on the same day or within 24 hours. Efficient testing helps the team quickly arrive at a diagnosis, so your treatment can begin as soon as possible.
Feb. 03, 2015
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2015: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 6, 2015.
- Kahrilas PJ. Hiatus hernia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Townsend CM Jr, et al. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery: The Biological Basis of Modern Surgical Practice. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Yeo CJ. Shackelford's Surgery of the Alimentary Tract. 7th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier; 2013. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Mahawar KK, et al. Simultaneous sleeve gastrectomy and hiatus hernia repair: A systematic review. Obesity Surgery. 2015;25:159.
- Katz PO, et al. Corrigendum: Guidelines for the diagnosis and management of gastroesophageal reflux disease. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2013;108:308.
- Guidelines for the management of hiatal hernia. Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons. http://www.sages.org/publications/guidelines/guidelines-for-the-management-of-hiatal-hernia/. Accessed Jan. 7, 2015.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Sept. 26, 2014.
- Rakel D. Integrative Medicine. 3rd ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2012. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed Jan. 9, 2015.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 18, 2015.
- Rohren CH (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Jan. 10, 2015.