Your risk of hepatitis C infection is increased if you:
Jan. 15, 2015
- Are a health care worker who has been exposed to infected blood, such as may happen if an infected needle pierces your skin
- Have ever injected or inhaled illicit drugs
- Have HIV
- Received a piercing or tattoo in an unclean environment using unsterile equipment
- Received a blood transfusion or organ transplant before 1992
- Received clotting factor concentrates before 1987
- Received hemodialysis treatments for a long period of time
- Were born to a woman with a hepatitis C infection
- Were ever in prison
- Were born between 1945 and 1965, the age group with the highest incidence of hepatitis C infection
- Mandell GL, et al. Mandell, Douglas, and Bennett's Principles and Practice of Infectious Diseases. 8th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Churchill Livingstone Elsevier; 2015. https://www.clinicalkey.com/#!/content/book/3-s2.0-B9781455748013001569. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Hepatitis C FAQs for the public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/c/CFAQ.htm#cFAQ81. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Recommendations for Testing, Managing, and Treating Hepatitis C. Alexandria, Va.: The American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases. Arlington, Va.: The Infectious Diseases Society of America. http://www.hcvguidelines.org/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Screening for chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Lorenz R, et al. Clinical manifestations, diagnosis, and treatment of acute hepatitis C in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Terrault NA, et al. Diagnosis and evaluation of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- What I need to know about hepatitis C. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/liver-disease/hepatitis-c/Pages/ez.aspx. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. Symptoms of liver failure. American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/what-is-he/liver-failure-symptoms/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Hepatic Encephalopathy. What are the symptoms of HE? American Liver Foundation. http://he123.liverfoundation.org/diagnosis/symptoms-of-he/. Accessed Dec. 1, 2014.
- Chopra S. Clinical manifestations and natural history of chronic hepatitis C virus infection. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed Nov. 30, 2014.
- Kohli A, et al. Treatment of hepatitis C: A systematic review. Journal of the American Medical Association. 2014;13:631.
- Guidelines for the screening, care and treatment of persons with hepatitis C infection. Geneva, Switzerland: World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/hepatitis/hepatitis-c-guidelines/en/. Accessed Nov. 28, 2014.
- Rice CM, et al. Hepatitis C: Treatment triumphs. Nature. 2014;510:43.
- Picco MF (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville, Fla. December 10, 2014.
- Golden AK. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. Nov. 18, 2014.