If you've been diagnosed with hepatitis B infection, you may worry about what it means for your health. You may also worry about spreading hepatitis B to those close to you. To help you cope with your feelings, consider trying to:
Sep. 01, 2011
- Learn more about hepatitis B. Finding out more about hepatitis B can help you understand what this infection means for your overall health. Ask your doctor about good sources of information you can turn to in order to learn more about hepatitis B. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is a good place to start.
- Stay connected to your friends and family. You can't spread hepatitis B through casual contact, such as hugging, dancing or shaking hands. And you can't spread hepatitis B through a swimming pool, telephone, toilet seat or shared eating utensils. Don't be afraid to spend time with your friends and family. Having them close may be a good source of support for you.
- Take care of yourself. Make lifestyle changes that help you improve your overall health. For instance, choose a diet full of fruits and vegetables. Try to exercise most days of the week. Get enough sleep so that you wake feeling rested.
- Take care of your liver. Care for your liver to help prolong its function. Don't drink alcohol. Don't take prescription or over-the-counter drugs without first consulting your doctor to make sure they're safe for your liver.
- Perillo R. Hepatitis B and D. In: Feldman M, et al. Sleisenger & Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 9th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2010. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-1-4160-6189-2..X0001-7--TOP&isbn=978-1-4160-6189-2&about=true&uniqId=229935664-2192. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- Lok ASF, et al. Chronic hepatitis B: Update 2009. Hepatology. 2009;50:1.
- Hepatitis B FAQs for the public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/B/bFAQ.htm. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- What I need to know about hepatitis B. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hepb_ez/. Accessed July 25, 2011.
- Hepatitis B. Lab Tests Online. http://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/hepatitis-b/tab/glance. Accessed Aug. 1, 2011.
- Milk thistle. National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine. http://nccam.nih.gov/health/milkthistle/ataglance.htm. Accessed July 25, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.