Lifestyle and home remediesBy Mayo Clinic Staff
You can take steps to reduce the risk of passing hepatitis A to others.
Sept. 09, 2014
- Avoid sexual activity. Avoid all sexual activity if you have hepatitis A, since many kinds of sexual activity can expose your partner to infection. Condoms don't offer adequate protection.
- Wash your hands thoroughly after using the toilet. Scrub vigorously for at least 20 seconds and rinse well. Dry your hands with a disposable towel.
- Don't prepare food for others while you're actively infected. You can easily pass the infection to others.
- Cheney CP. Overview of hepatitis A virus infection in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed July15, 2014.
- Hepatitis A FAQs for the public. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/hepatitis/A/aFAQ.htm. Accessed July 15, 2014.
- Hepatitis A. World Health Organization. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs328/en/#. Accessed July 15, 2014.
- What I need to know about hepatitis A. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hepa_ez/index.aspx. Accessed July 16, 2014.