Preparing for your appointment

By Mayo Clinic Staff

You'll likely see your family doctor or your child's pediatrician for this condition, although you may be referred to a kidney specialist (nephrologist) if kidney complications develop. Here's some information that may help you get ready for your appointment and what to expect from your doctor.

Before your appointment, you may want to write a list of answers to the following questions:

  • When did the symptoms begin?
  • Did they come on suddenly or gradually?
  • Were you or was your child sick before the rash started?
  • What medications and supplements do you or your child take regularly?

Questions you may want to ask your doctor include:

  • What might be causing these symptoms?
  • What tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis?
  • Is this condition temporary or chronic?
  • How will I know if there's kidney damage? What if it turns up later on?
  • How is Henoch-Schonlein purpura treated?
  • What are the side effects of treatment?
  • Do you have any literature on this condition? Is there a website you can recommend where I can learn more?

What to expect from your doctor

Your doctor is likely to ask a number of questions, such as:

  • What did the rash look like when it first started?
  • Is the rash painful? Does it itch?
  • Do you or does your child have other symptoms, such as stomach pain or joint aches?
July 31, 2013