Hemorrhoids (HEM-uh-roids), also called piles, are swollen veins in your anus and lower rectum, similar to varicose veins. Hemorrhoids have a number of causes, although often the cause is unknown. They may result from straining during bowel movements or from the increased pressure on these veins during pregnancy. Hemorrhoids may be located inside the rectum (internal hemorrhoids), or they may develop under the skin around the anus (external hemorrhoids).
Hemorrhoids are very common. Nearly three out of four adults will have hemorrhoids from time to time. Sometimes they don't cause symptoms but at other times they cause itching, discomfort and bleeding.
Occasionally, a clot may form in a hemorrhoid (thrombosed hemorrhoid). These are not dangerous but can be extremely painful and sometimes need to be lanced and drained.
Fortunately, many effective options are available to treat hemorrhoids. Many people can get relief from symptoms with home treatments and lifestyle changes.
Hemorrhoid care at Mayo Clinic
Sept. 29, 2016
- Wald A, et al. ACG clinical guideline: Management of benign anorectal disorders. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;109:1141.
- National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/hemorrhoids/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed May 22, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Hemorrhoids. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 23, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Diseases of the anorectum. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 22, 2016.
- Jacobs D. Hemorrhoids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:944.
- Sun Z, et al. Review of hemorrhoid disease: Presentation and management. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2016;29:22.
- Bleday R, et al. Hemorrhoids: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 23, 2016.
- Bleday R, et al. Treatment of hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 22, 2016.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Surgical treatment of hemorrhoidal disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Brown AY. AllScripts EPSi. Rochester, Minn. May 25, 2016.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2015-2016. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed April 6, 2016.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 3, 2016.