Your doctor may be able to see if you have external hemorrhoids simply by looking. Tests and procedures to diagnose internal hemorrhoids may include examination of your anal canal and rectum:
- Digital examination. During a digital rectal exam, your doctor inserts a gloved, lubricated finger into your rectum. He or she feels for anything unusual, such as growths. The exam can suggest to your doctor whether further testing is needed.
- Visual inspection. Because internal hemorrhoids are often too soft to be felt during a rectal exam, your doctor may also examine the lower portion of your colon and rectum with an anoscope, proctoscope or sigmoidoscope.
Your doctor may want to examine your entire colon using colonoscopy if:
- Your signs and symptoms suggest you might have another digestive system disease
- You have risk factors for colorectal cancer
- You're middle-aged and haven't had a recent colonoscopy
Sept. 29, 2016
- Wald A, et al. ACG clinical guideline: Management of benign anorectal disorders. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2014;109:1141.
- National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse. http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/health-topics/digestive-diseases/hemorrhoids/Pages/facts.aspx. Accessed May 22, 2016.
- Ferri FF. Hemorrhoids. In: Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2016. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2016. https://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 23, 2016.
- Feldman M, et al. Diseases of the anorectum. In: Sleisenger and Fordtran's Gastrointestinal and Liver Disease: Pathophysiology, Diagnosis, Management. 10th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2016. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 22, 2016.
- Jacobs D. Hemorrhoids. New England Journal of Medicine. 2014;371:944.
- Sun Z, et al. Review of hemorrhoid disease: Presentation and management. Clinics in Colon and Rectal Surgery. 2016;29:22.
- Bleday R, et al. Hemorrhoids: Clinical manifestations and diagnosis. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 23, 2016.
- Bleday R, et al. Treatment of hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 22, 2016.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Surgical treatment of hemorrhoidal disease. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 23, 2013.
- Brown AY. AllScripts EPSi. Rochester, Minn. May 25, 2016.
- U.S. News best hospitals 2015-2016. U.S. News & World Report. http://health.usnews.com/best-hospitals/rankings/gastroenterology-and-gi-surgery. Accessed April 6, 2016.
- Wilkinson JM (expert opinion). Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. June 3, 2016.