Complications of hemorrhoids are rare but include:
Sept. 10, 2016
- Anemia. Chronic blood loss from hemorrhoids may cause anemia, in which you don't have enough healthy red blood cells to carry oxygen to your cells. This may result in fatigue and weakness.
- Strangulated hemorrhoid. If blood supply to an internal hemorrhoid is cut off, the hemorrhoid may be "strangulated," which can cause extreme pain and lead to tissue death (gangrene).
- Living with hemorrhoids. American Gastroenterological Association. http://www.gastro.org/patient-center/digestive-conditions/hemorrhoids. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Bope ET, et al. Conn's Current Therapy. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2013. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?about=true&eid=$eid&isbn=978-1-4557-0295-4&uniqId=398813857-1936. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Ferri FF. Ferri's Clinical Advisor 2013: 5 Books in 1. Philadelphia, Pa.: Mosby Elsevier; 2012. http://www.mdconsult.com/books/about.do?eid=4-u1.0-B978-0-323-08373-7..00002-9&isbn=978-0-323-08373-7&about=true&uniqId=343863096-23. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Hemorrhoids. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/hemorrhoids/. Accessed April 15, 2013.
- Daram SR, et al. Anorectal bleeding: Etiology, evaluation and management (with videos). Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2012;76:406.
- Mounsey AL, et al. Hemorrhoids. American Family Physician. 2011;84:204.
- Bleday R, et al. Treatment of hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Practice parameters for the management of hemorrhoids (revised 2010). Diseases of the Colon & Rectum. 2011;54:1059.
- Rivadeneira DE, et al. Outpatient and surgical procedures for hemorrhoids. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed April 16, 2013.