Edema — swelling caused by excess fluid in tissues — can affect any part of your body. Treating the underlying cause is key to resolving edema.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Most headaches aren't caused by a serious illness, but some could be a sign of a life-threatening condition.
Sick to your stomach? Nausea and vomiting usually pass quickly but sometimes result from long-term or serious conditions.
Treatments and drugs
Blood transfusions boost blood levels that are low due to surgery, injury or disease. Learn about the benefits, risks and what to expect.
Aug. 31, 2011
- Hoots KW, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of hemophilia. http://www.uptodate.com/home/index.html. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Hemophilia. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/sec11/ch136/ch136c.html#sec11-ch136-ch136d-524. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Hemophilia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/hemophilia/hemophilia_all.html. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Hemophilia facts. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/hemophilia/facts.html. Accessed June 25, 2011.
- Factor XI deficiency. National Hemophilia Foundation. http://www.hemophilia.org/NHFWeb/MainPgs/MainNHF.aspx?menuid=54&contentid=54. Accessed June 27, 2011.
- Rodriguez NI, et al. Advances in hemophilia: Experimental aspects and therapy. Hematology and Oncology Clinics of North America. 2010; 24:181.
- Care at comprehensive treatment centers can save lives. U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/Features/ComprehensiveCare. Accessed June 25, 2011.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.