For people with a family history of hemophilia, it's possible to determine during pregnancy if the fetus is affected by hemophilia. However, the testing poses some risks to the fetus. Discuss the benefits and risks of testing with your doctor.
In children and adults, a blood test can show a clotting-factor deficiency. Hemophilia is diagnosed at an average age of 9 months and almost always by age 2. Sometimes, mild hemophilia isn't diagnosed until a person undergoes surgery and experiences excessive bleeding.
Sept. 26, 2014
- Hoots WK, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of hemophilia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis or expedite the evaluation of hemophilia? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Hoots WK, et al. Treatment of hemophilia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Berntorp E, et al. Modern haemophilia care. The Lancet. 2012;379:1447.
- Living with hemophilia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hemophilia/livingwith.html Accessed May 13, 2014.
- Lim MY, et al. Outcomes of management of acute coronary syndrome in patients with congenital bleeding disorders: A single center experience and review of the literature. Thrombosis Research. 2012;130:316.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Hemophilia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 17, 2014.