Hemophilia is a rare disorder in which your blood doesn't clot normally because it lacks sufficient blood-clotting proteins (clotting factors). If you have hemophilia, you may bleed for a longer time after an injury than you would if your blood clotted normally.
Small cuts usually aren't much of a problem. The greater health concern is deep bleeding inside your body, especially in your knees, ankles and elbows. That internal bleeding can damage your organs and tissues, and may be life-threatening.
Hemophilia is an inherited (genetic) disorder. There's no cure yet. But with proper treatment and self-care, most people with hemophilia can maintain an active, productive lifestyle.
Sept. 26, 2014
- Hoots WK, et al. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of hemophilia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- AskMayoExpert. What tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis or expedite the evaluation of hemophilia? Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2014.
- Hoffman R, et al. Hematology: Basic Principles and Practice. 6th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier 2013. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Kliegman RM, et al. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Saunders Elsevier; 2011. http://www.clinicalkey.com. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Hoots WK, et al. Treatment of hemophilia. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 12, 2014.
- Berntorp E, et al. Modern haemophilia care. The Lancet. 2012;379:1447.
- Living with hemophilia. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/hemophilia/livingwith.html Accessed May 13, 2014.
- Lim MY, et al. Outcomes of management of acute coronary syndrome in patients with congenital bleeding disorders: A single center experience and review of the literature. Thrombosis Research. 2012;130:316.
- Barbara Woodward Lips Patient Education Center. Hemophilia. Rochester, Minn.: Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2009.
- Cook, AJ. Decision Support System. Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn. July 17, 2014.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.