Find out what causes different types of abdominal pain.
Fatigue can signal many things. Here are some tips to help you decipher why you're wiped out and to regain your energy.
Foot pain? Headache? Sore throat? Skin rash? Use the Symptom Checker to find out what's causing your symptom.
Tests and diagnosis
A creatinine test reveals important information about your kidneys. Find out what the results of this common blood test mean for you.
Urinalysis can be used to assess your overall health, detect a wide range of disorders, or monitor a medical condition or treatment.
Treatments and drugs
During peritoneal dialysis, a fluid flows into your abdominal cavity where it draws wastes from blood vessels in your abdominal wall. The fluid is then withdrawn and discarded.
July 03, 2013
- Niaudet P. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Shiga toxin associated (typical) hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Bavaro MF. E. coli O157:H7 and other toxigenic strains: The curse of global food distribution. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2012;14:317.
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and hemolytic-uremic syndrome. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec11/ch133/ch133g.html. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse . http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/childkidneydiseases/hemolytic_uremic_syndrome/. Accessed May 21, 2013.
- Bielaszewska M, et al. Enterohemorrhagic escherichia coli O26:H11/H-: A new virulent clone emerges in Europe. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2013;56:1373.
- George JN. Causes of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Elliott MM, et al. Interventions for haemolytic uraemic syndrome and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003595.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Food safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/facts.html. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Niaudet P. Treatment and prognosis of Shiga toxin associated (typical) hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Niaudet P. Atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Nester CM, et al. Atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome: What is it, how is it diagnosed, and how is it treated? Hematology. 2012;2012:617.
- Ground beef and food safety. U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/ground_beef_and_food_safety/. Accessed May 28, 2013.
- Hunt JM. Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC). Clinics in Laboratory Medicine. 2010;30:21.