Those most at risk of developing hemolytic uremic syndrome are:
- Children under 5 years of age
- People who have certain genetic changes that make them more susceptible
Young children and elderly adults are the most likely to be seriously ill from hemolytic uremic syndrome.
July 03, 2013
- Niaudet P. Clinical manifestations and diagnosis of Shiga toxin associated (typical) hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Tintinalli JE, et al. Tintinalli's Emergency Medicine: A Comprehensive Study Guide. 7th ed. New York, N.Y.: The McGraw-Hill Companies; 2011. http://www.accessmedicine.com/resourceTOC.aspx?resourceID=40. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Bavaro MF. E. coli O157:H7 and other toxigenic strains: The curse of global food distribution. Current Gastroenterology Reports. 2012;14:317.
- Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) and hemolytic-uremic syndrome. The Merck Manuals: The Merck Manual for Healthcare Professionals. http://www.merck.com/mmpe/print/sec11/ch133/ch133g.html. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. National Kidney and Urologic Diseases Information Clearinghouse . http://kidney.niddk.nih.gov/KUDiseases/pubs/childkidneydiseases/hemolytic_uremic_syndrome/. Accessed May 21, 2013.
- Bielaszewska M, et al. Enterohemorrhagic escherichia coli O26:H11/H-: A new virulent clone emerges in Europe. Clinical Infectious Diseases. 2013;56:1373.
- George JN. Causes of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome in adults. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Elliott MM, et al. Interventions for haemolytic uraemic syndrome and thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD003595.pub2/abstract. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Food safety. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. http://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/facts.html. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Niaudet P. Treatment and prognosis of Shiga toxin associated (typical) hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Niaudet P. Atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome in children. http://www.uptodate.com/home. Accessed May 26, 2013.
- Nester CM, et al. Atypical hemolytic uremic syndrome: What is it, how is it diagnosed, and how is it treated? Hematology. 2012;2012:617.
- Ground beef and food safety. U.S. Department of Agriculture. http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/ground_beef_and_food_safety/. Accessed May 28, 2013.
- Hunt JM. Shiga toxin-producing Escherichia coli (STEC). Clinics in Laboratory Medicine. 2010;30:21.
You Are ... The Campaign for Mayo Clinic
Mayo Clinic is a not-for-profit organization. Make a difference today.